Her birth

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Human not Homeless

This Mother's Day I was able to serve with RED EYE, a non- profit pioneered by my new friend Justin Mayo. What a humbling and eye opening experience it was to drive through the fashion district of LA only to arrive in a section of forsaken streets known as "skid row". Suitcases, grocery carts, abandoned buildings, and hundreds of "homeless" lined streets.


We came to offer them a day of pampering and beauty revival in many ways. We set up make-up stations, hair stylists, nail "salons", and of course a mall to shop for new outfits. What woman does not love all the above!?  A truth trickled down into my heart that was exposing and challenging as soon as the scene began. Without much thought it was ( and is) easy to categorize "them" as homeless, service projects, or charity causes. But on Mother's Day 2012, I saw mothers, women, daughters, and sisters. God reminded me of their humanness. They are not homeless but human. They have stories, heartaches, longings for manicures and babies crying in strollers but just don't live how and where I do.

As I scanned racks of donated designer clothes with these women, I was moved to see them for who, not what, they are. It was an honor to be their "stylist" for a day. Photographers snapped memories as the day concluded with a RED carpet strut for these beautiful women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzjlJ5MY9QQ&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment